Am I eligible to become a Provider?
To register as a provider with the Active Kids program, you must be located in NSW and be either.
- A sporting club/association affiliated with a recognised State Sporting Organisation, OR
- An unaffiliated club/activity provider
- deliver a structured and supervised sport or physical activity program over a minimum eight weeks if delivered during the school term and a minimum five sessions or a minimum of four hours, if delivered during school holidays
- hold a current ABN, ACN or Certificate of Incorporation and must not have any outstanding actions or enforcement orders recorded by the Office of Fair Trading.
- appropriate skills, experience, or qualifications and necessary accreditation for nominated activities, specifically swimming and fitness programs.
- Have Working with Children Check clearances for all relevant staff and volunteers.
- Certificate of Currency detailing appropriate level of insurance for the activities offered.
You may be required to submit verification of business and activity program as outlined above to support your application to become a provider.
All providers must be approved as an Active Kids provider prior to accepting vouchers.
What can the voucher be used for?
The voucher can be used for registration, membership or participation fees for structured activities that provide a moderate to vigorous level of physical activity.
- swimming lessons
- structured and supervised fitness programs
- approved active recreation
Physical activity is defined as movement involving large muscles (e.g. running, swimming, aerobic activity). Physical activity must be planned, structured, supervised and involve repetitive bodily movement which improves or maintains physical fitness.
What is excluded?
Vouchers cannot be used for:
- individual items or equipment including jerseys, socks or boots, that are not part of the registration cost.
- programs delivered during school term that are less than 8 weeks duration
- programs delivered during school holidays that are not 5 sessions or 4 hours
- gym membership that is not part of a structured and supervised program
- activities that are part of the school curriculum or conducted during school hours
- after-school care services and tutors
- school-run competitions, including weekend inter-school sport competitions or activities
- travel to and from competitions.
How long are vouchers valid?
From 1 July 2023, parents, guardians and carers of all school-age children are eligible for a $50 Active Kids voucher to use towards sport and active recreation costs.
The voucher is be valid until 31 January 2024.
Expired vouchers cannot be redeemed for reimbursement.
Are online programs (or apps) eligible for the Active Kids Program?
No - online programs do not satisfy the core objectives or requirements of the Active Kids Program, making them ineligible for voucher redemption.
My club or organisation is in a border town, can we claim vouchers and which kids are eligible for a voucher?
Only children who reside in NSW are eligible to claim vouchers.
Clubs or organisations located in NSW and meet all other program requirements are eligible to register to become a provider. However, they can only accept vouchers from children who reside in NSW. If a club or organisation has children enrolled who live in other States or Territories, those children will not be eligible to use a voucher with them.
Clubs or organisations located outside of NSW, but within border towns should contact the Office of Sport at firstname.lastname@example.org with any eligibility queries.
I provide an activity program within a school. Am I eligible to be an Active Kids provider?
Active Kids aims to increase children's participation in activities outside school hours.
School-run activities, competitions and inter-school sport that are in school and part of the curriculum are not eligible for this program.
School teams who participate and pay fees directly towards community-based competitions may be eligible.
Providers who are running activities outside school hours using school facilities are eligible to apply.
When will providers be reimbursed the value of the vouchers?
Reimbursement to providers should occur within seven days of the redemption of vouchers.
Please note Providers will be reimbursed the actual value of the activity up to the value of the $50 voucher and will not automatically receive $50 for each voucher.
Can prices be increased by providers?
Providers cannot raise their fees unreasonably as a direct result of registration as an Active Kids provider.
Providers cannot apply differential pricing for voucher holders vs non-voucher holders.
Providers (including sports clubs) may be subject to audit.
Those providers found to have unreasonably increased their fees, or engaged in differential pricing or other breach of the program, may be deregistered as an Active Kids provider.
Where can I get more information?