Back to top

The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Assessor FAQs

1.    Do I need a Working with Children Check to be an Assessor?

Any person working with children (under 18) in NSW in a direct, ongoing capacity requires a valid WWCC – this includes Assessors. Ref - Office of the Children’s Guardian.

2.    Where can I find the Assessor Commencement Guide?

In the Award Centre resources section.

3.    Do I have to submit the Volunteer Details and Agreements form from the Assessor Commencement Guide to the school?

Yes. You can either return it to the Participant or forward directly to the Award Leader.

4.    Do I need to be approved by the Participant’s Award Leader before being able to assess their activity?

Yes, all Assessors must be approved by the Participant's Award Leader before starting any Duke of Ed activities with them.

5.    Can I be an Assessor for my son/daughter or brother/sister?

Assessor(s) should not be a family member.

6.    Do Assessors/Award Leaders need to be with the Participant each time they engage in their activity?

No, the frequency of Award related contact and monitoring between the Participant and the Assessor will depend on the activity and the age/level of independence of the Participant.

7.    Have you got a list of activity providers? If so, what should I do to include my organisation?

See Directory of Activity Providers. This includes information on how to register your organisation.

8.    How do I assess Participant’s activity?

The Participant records their activities in their ORB and will then either print off a summary and present this to you for assessment or you will receive an email from the ORB requesting you assess the Participant.

9.    What do I do if a Participant has not met the requirements for their Section?

If a Participant has not met the requirements of a Section, the Assessor should discuss their concerns with the Participant. The Participant should then be encouraged to finish the requirements of that Section.

10.    Can I, as the director, sign off for the children even if I am not directly overseeing them?

You can nominate yourself as the Assessor and as long as supervising staff are appropriately qualified and the organisation meets NSW Child Protection requirements. However, final approval is at the discretion of the Award Leader.