If you're thinking about applying for an Office of Sport grants program, then make sure you check out the five steps to writing a grant application below.
- Read the guidance notes and FAQ to self-assess if your organisation and/or project are eligible under the program.
- Register your organisation early in order to access the on-line application (if not already registered).
- To register a project, search for your organisation using a key word from the organisation name – do not login to the organisation registration.
- Start on your project application early in the application period.
- Have a thorough understanding of your project.
- Read the project assessment selection criteria thoroughly.
- Consider how your project will address the criteria and how you will support this with some form of evidence.
- Work out your project timelines – be realistic and ensure they are within the acceptable time period for the grant program.
- Prepare a realistic budget. Don’t ask for too little or too much. Check that all budget items are eligible under the grant criteria.
- Identify the community groups that will benefit from your project.
- Source any documents that are required to be attached with your application.
- Complete the application as fully as possible.
- Ensure financial information is as accurate as possible.
- Write clearly and succinctly.
- Don’t exceed word limits.
- Attach all the required supporting documentation.
- Don’t include documents that are not requested.
- You are able to work on your project submission over several sittings, so check information and make improvements before you submit your application.
- Show your online application to someone who has never seen the project or heard you talk about it.
- After reading it – ask them to explain it to you.
- Did they pick up the main points you wanted to make?
- Did they know what you were asking for?
- Refine your application and repeat this step until the other person can clearly and easily describe the project back to you.
- Submit before or on time as late applications are not accepted.
- Submit in accordance with the instructions.
- Keep a copy of the notification that your application has been received and any identification code that is provided for future reference.